Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Aggravating or Inspiring?

I've been out of school now for 4 years. I've had a steady job for about 3 of those years. And I've pretty much disliked about 2.5 years of the 3 years at the steady job. I've stuck around at said job for a combination of reasons. The first being "you have to stay here a year" then it was "after the holidays" then "after I get married" and now the only excuse that could possibly keep me paralyzed in my current position is, "I don't know what I want to be when I grow up."

And who really does know what they want to be when they grow up, right? Or at least that's what I've been hearing while I've been desperately and somewhat sneakily trying to gain the comfort and support from family and friends on this topic. Each time I journey down this "woe is me, please help me find a career I'm passionate about" path, I come across the same aggravating response: "I STILL don't know what I want to be when I grow up"

Up until yesterday, when I actually started breaking down this answer, I thought this was the most negative response to a topic that has no room for negativity. I mean I don't know what to do with my LIFE and this is all you can say? It's Debbie Downer material. And to be frank it feels like defeat when you hear it. That "STILL" in the I STILL don't know what I want to do when I grow up was like being trapped in a giant maze for days and finally succumbing to the realization that you'd  never get out of it. Forget it! I quickly vowed to never look at my own career this way. Instead I wanted to be the wise mother goose who loved her career decisions and not for a day questioned whether her position was enough for her. It WOULD be enough for me! I was going to find something I KNEW I wanted to do forever!

But then I thought, why not take this seemingly negative and frustrating comment and turn it on it's head. "I STILL don't know what I want to do because my tastes and interests are so diverse and intense that I can't imagine staying in one career my whole life" Or "I STILL don't know what I want to do when I grow up because I've enjoyed every part of the process of getting to this wonderful place that I couldn't possibly pick just one thing." Yeaaaa. That's more like it. And honestly more along the lines of what I want to hear. Sometimes  you just have to tweak the things that bother you and manipulate them into something better. But that my friends, is a different post altogether!


No comments:

Post a Comment